- South American qualifying for Qatar 2022 is underway!
- Uruguay-Chile is the standout fixture from Round 1
- Follow all the action with FIFA.com
The road to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ is officially underway in South America. It’s perhaps the most arduous and competitive of all the continental journeys on the road to Qatar. All of the national teams have impressive pedigrees in the international game and long histories in the World Cup finals.
With every point precious in this fiercely competitive zone, every single clash contains mouthwatering storylines and has huge significance with automatic qualifying berths ultimately at stake. Uruguay-Chile looks to be the standout fixture in Round 1 as Luis Suarez, Diego Godin and Co host the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal and Eduardo Vargas at the historic Estadio Centenario.
Best of social media
Did you know?
- Peru beat Paraguay on both occasions on the road to Russia 2018: 1-0 at home and, impressively, 4-1 in Asuncion
- Paraguay have lost four of their last five home qualifiers (including that 4-1 loss to Peru); it’s their worst streak ever in the competition
- Uruguay have never lost at home to Chile, with 21 wins and seven draws in their 28 matches
- Twenty of the 23 goals Chile scored in the Russia 2018 qualifiers were scored or assisted by Alexis Sanchez (seven goals, four assists), Arturo Vidal (six goals) or Eduardo Vargas (five goals)
- Argentina have lost only one of their last eight matches against Ecuador, but that defeat was a shock 2-0 loss in October 2015 at the Monumental